What are the intercations of 5-HTP?
As always, share with your doctor and pharmacist all prescription, non-prescription, illegal, recreational, herbal, nutritional, or dietary drugs you're taking.
Because of 5-HTP's involvement with the production of serotonin, you should be careful if taking medications that increase levels of serotonin in the body.
The following drugs are known to have some potentially serious interactions with 5-HTTP:
- Marplan (isocarboxazid)
- Zyvox (linezolid)
- Methylene blue
- Nardil (phenelzine)
- Parnate (tranylcypromine)
Also, talk with your doctor about 5-HTP if you are taking any of the following:
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) like Celexa (citalopram), Lexapro (escitalopram), Paxil (paroxetine), or Prozac (fluoxetine)
- Serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) like Cymbalta (duloxetine) and Effexor (venlafaxine)
- Tricyclic Antidepressants (TCAs) like Norpramin (desimpramine), Tofranil or Tofranil-PM (imipramine), and Elavil (amitritypline)
- Migraine medications called "ergots", like Cafergot or Migergot (ergotamine) or Migranal (dihydroergotamine, including the nasal spray)
- Migraine medications like Imitrex (sumatriptan), Frova (frovatriptan), Maxalt (rizatriptan), or Zomig (zolmitriptan)
- Illicit drugs like cocaine and lysergic acid diethyamide (LSD)
- Herbal and dietary supplements like St. John's wort and L-tryptophan
- Opium-related pain medications including Roxanol (morphine) and Duragesic (fentanyl)
- Lithobid (lithium)
- Dexedrine or Procentra (dextroamphetamine)
- Drugs for Parkinson's disease like Lososyn (carbidopa), Zelapar, Eldepryl, Emsam (selegiline), and Azilect (rasagiline)